EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: VERIFICATION SPECIALIST
Who we are
The Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI) is a nonprofit education and research organization based in Washington, D.C. We were established in 2010 by the American Public Works Association (APWA), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC). In 2011, ISI and the Zofnass Program for Sustainable Infrastructure at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design collaborated to develop Envision®. Envision – developed, managed and administered by ISI – is a holistic framework and rating system that enables a thorough examination of civil infrastructure’s sustainability and resiliency. We train and credential public- and private-sector leaders, students, and other stakeholders in the architecture, engineering, and construction industry on Envision; we offer a third-party verification program that rates projects; and we work with member organizations and partners to accelerate positive change. To date, we have verified more than 100 infrastructure projects in the United States, Canada and abroad, and more than 8,000 people have taken our training program to become Envision Sustainabilty Professionals (ENV SPs). Currently we count as members more than 200 private companies, 130 public agencies, and 25 academic institutions.
ISI envisions a day when all infrastructure projects worldwide are designed and built to be sustainable, resilient, and equitable. To ensure that happens, we provide people with the tools, resources, and roadmaps needed to succeed. Better infrastructure equals a better world. And working together, we can help communities, businesses, and people thrive and prosper while restoring and healing the planet.
The Verification Specialist plays a crucial role in the ongoing growth and development of the Envision verification and awards program. The Verification Specialist works alongside contracted third-party verifiers to undertake documentation reviews of infrastructure projects seeking Envision verification. The Verification Specialist directly liaises with third-party verifiers and ensures timely, consistent, and high-quality project verifications. The Verification Specialist ensures the correct application of ISI guidance and policies, collaborates with the Verification Director to develop and implement tools and strategies to further grow the program, and will support both third-party verifiers and applicants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Thoroughly review project submissions against the Envision sustainable infrastructure framework to ensure consistency and quality across all project reviews.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with contracted third-party verifiers.
- Liaise with third-party verifiers during the verification process and support them in correctly interpreting requirements.
- Develop tools and other guidance materials to support third-party verifiers and applicants.
- Maintain a database of verification decisions and responses to technical inquiries.
- Respond to general and technical questions about the Envision verification process/specific requirements
- Identify and escalate issues to the Verification Director
- Participate in staff and committee meetings
- Provide administrative support for the verification program
- Other duties as required
- This position may either be based at ISI’s Headquarters in Washington, DC, or work remotely.
- Work hours can be flexible, but core hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) are expected to respond to customer needs and actively engage with ISI staff.
- Required attendance at bi-weekly staff meetings.
- We do not expect this position to require regular travel. (Due to the pandemic, ISI staff members are not currently traveling.)
Education and work experience
- Post-secondary degree in engineering, planning or a sustainability related field.
- Envision Sustainability Professional (ENV SP) credential, or able to obtain the ENV SP credential within the first three months of employment. (To learn more about the ENV SP credential, please visit our credentialing page online: https://sustainableinfrastructure.org/credentialing/envision-sustainability-professional-env-sp/) .
- 5 years or more of relevant professional experience.
- A high level of familiarity and training in the Envision® system is preferred.
- Experience developing and/or applying sustainability frameworks and rating systems on buildings, infrastructure projects and/or communities, is preferred.
- Must be organized and have strong project–and time–management skills, including the ability to prioritize and multitask several projects.
- Proficient writer and communicator, possessing strong copy-editing skills.
- Adept at using Excel and other Microsoft Office programs.
- Must have an excellent command of the English language and produce quality products tailored for targeted audiences. Fluency in additional languages (particularly Spanish and/or French) is considered an asset.
- Passion for sustainability, infrastructure, environment, and/or engineering
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A self-starter who possesses sound judgment
- Service-oriented with the ability to work independently or as part of a team
Salary: $60,000 – $70,000
Benefits: health, dental, vision, and life insurance; Health Savings Account; company-matched retirement plan with up to 5% match; quarterly stipend for internet and phone expenses.
Vacation: Four (4) weeks; all federal holidays per the United States or Canadian calendar; five (5) sick/mental health days per year.
ISI’s Commitment to Inclusion
ISI is an equal opportunity employer, and we remain steadfastly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. Our dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our work and within the Envision framework, and we partner regularly with organizations to champion these ideals. We are tenacious in our pledge to advance diversity and inclusion in the workplace and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard for race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. Accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly describing how they meet the qualifications for this employment opportunity. Send by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Wednesday, June 25, 2021.
You can download the full description here in Word document form.
You can also download a pdf.