Saudi Aramco’s Ajyal Community of Excellence project located in South Dhahran, Saudi Arabia is the first infrastructure project in the Middle East to earn an Envision award for sustainable infrastructure. This project is the recent recipient of the Envision Silver award—an award that signifies the project delivers a range of environmental, social, and economic benefits to the host and affected communities.
The Ajyal Community of Excellence project, known locally as the South Dhahran Home Ownership Program, includes site planning, selection, preparation, environmental monitoring; and design and construction of the infrastructure for the new Ajyal community.
The overall goals of the Ajyal Community Development project include:
- Promoting a high quality of life by including pedestrian and bicycle paths, attractive landscaping, and public open spaces for residents;
- Demonstrating leadership in environmental design by optimizing land use and balancing economic, social, and environmental considerations;
- Smartly locating and constructing utilities and infrastructure to serve the needs of the community today, while also planning for future growth;
- Creating opportunities for significant commercial and residential development in an area that was previously barren; and
- Utilizing resources efficiently—including energy, water and materials—during construction and over the operational life of the project.
Saudi Aramco worked in close collaboration with Nesma & Partners, HOK and IBI to deliver this award-winning sustainable project.
Visit the PROJECT PAGE to learn more.