At ISI, we want to transform the way civil infrastructure is planned, designed, and constructed to ensure that it is sustainable, resilient, and equitable. To achieve that goal, we provide people with the tools, resources, and roadmaps needed to be successful. Better infrastructure equals a better world. And working together, we can help communities, businesses, and people thrive and prosper while restoring and healing the planet.
WHO WE ARE
The Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure (ISI) is a nonprofit education and research organization based in Washington, DC. We were established in 2010 by the American Public Works Association (APWA), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), and the Zofnass Program for Sustainable Infrastructure at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design.
WHAT WE DO
ISI develops, manages, and administers Envision®—a holistic framework and rating system— that enables a thorough examination of civil infrastructure’s sustainability and resiliency. We train and credential public–and private–sector leaders, students, and other stakeholders in the architecture, engineering, and construction (a/e/c) industry on Envision; we offer a third-party verification program that rates projects; and we work with member organizations and partners to accelerate positive change.
ISI’s active membership includes over 250 AEC companies, 120 governmental agencies, and 25 universities, encompassing over 13,200 individuals. ISI administers the Envision Sustainability Professional (ENV SP) designation having credentialed over 8,700 professionals globally.
ISI is a growing organization! The right candidate will have the opportunity to impact educational programing that supports critical professionals in the infrastructure sector. We are a small collaborative team of passionate individuals dedicated to making the world a better place.
The ideal candidate is highly versatile and able to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently. The Instructional Designer role includes the following:
– Create engaging learning activities and compelling course content to be delivered online (asynchronous and synchronous learning) as well as in a traditional, in-person learning environment.
– Define the objectives and scope of educational offerings.
– Devise and design instructional graphics. o Create exercises and activities that enable and enhance learning transfer.
– Design supporting material/media (e.g. audio, video, simulations, handouts, tutorials).
– Devise assessment methods, such as interactions, surveys, or quizzes, to measure the effectiveness of the course.
– Work closely with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to design and develop creative, innovative and visually appealing learning products (e.g. self-paced online courses, webinars, workshops).
– Analyze and apply trends and best practices in instructional design.
– Suggest best practices and improvements to enhance existing content, methodologies, tools, and templates.
– This position may either be based at ISI’s Headquarters in Washington, DC, or work remotely.
– Work hours can be flexible, but core hours of 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Eastern Time) are expected in order to respond to customer needs and to actively engage with education department staff.
– Attendance at weekly staff meetings is required.
– ISI staff are not currently traveling due to the pandemic. When it is safe to resume travel, this position may require minimal travel (i.e. 1-2 trips per quarter) within the U.S. and Canada.
– Post-secondary degree in instructional design, education technology, adult education or related field.
– Preferred: Post-secondary education or accreditation in adult learning, training and development or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
– 3-5 years of relevant professional experience.
– Instructional design experience for traditional and online learning programs, including writing experience specifically focused on storyboard development for educational courses, instructional text, and audio/video scripts.
– Experience using course authoring tools.
– Experience with continuing education, professional development, accreditation or credentialing programs.
– Experience working with non-profit organizations, associations, or volunteers is highly desirable.
– Understanding of sustainability, environmental, infrastructure, and/or engineering industries is strongly preferred.
– In-depth knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models.
– Excellent organizational, project and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize and multitask several projects.
– Strong visual design skills (on any platform or software).
– Excellent written and verbal communication and proofing skills.
– At ease speaking in front of groups and delivering educational courses to adult learners in a traditional or virtual learning environment.
– Overall comfort with technology (including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat) and aptitude for acquiring proficiency on new platforms and applications; knowledge of Articulate Storyline and Rise preferred.
– Must have an exceptional command of the English language and be able to produce high quality products tailored for targeted audiences.
– Fluency in additional languages (particularly French or Spanish) considered a significant asset.
– Demonstrated passion for sustainability, infrastructure, environment, and/or engineering is highly desirable.
– Exceptional interpersonal skills and detail-oriented.
– Strong service orientation with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Salary range: $60,000-$70,000
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly describing how they meet the qualifications for this employment opportunity. Send by email only to: email@example.com, no later than April 23, 2021.
ISI is an equal opportunity employer and will evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. Accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities.