ISI and ZPH Present: Shovel-worthy Ideas for a Fresh Start
Leveraging infrastructure investments for public health, social equity, and economic recovery
Emerging from a turbulent year, rife with systemic racism and a global pandemic, infrastructure will be at the forefront of progress while continuing to provide reliable essential services to recovering communities. How will infrastructure assets meet these demands? What do the owners, planners, developers, engineers, constructors and operators need to do to make sure we get it right?
This thought-provoking virtual conference answers these questions and more, posturing that the solutions lie in infrastructure investments that are driven by a focus on social equity, public health, and economic recovery. Leaders in resiliency and sustainable infrastructure from around the world will share the commitments made and projects delivered that will help communities in crisis recover and build for a more sustainable future.
Who should attend?
· ENV SPs
· City officials
· Infrastructure industry professionals (planners, architects, engineers, developers, owners, constructors, operators)
· Public sector agency employees
· Sustainability experts and novices alike – anyone with a desire to learn something new!
Two-day Virtual Conference Agenda
Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Webinar 1: / Starts at 10:00 a.m.
Speakers will set the stage for the topics that will be discussed throughout the workshop, including how infrastructure can best address equity and social justice, COVID-19 impacts and recovery, and planning for the future. Recent projects that have made significant strides in sustainability, resiliency, and equitable achievements will be recognized during an awards presentation. ISI will acknowledge the individuals and project teams who had an impact in the past year.
- Session A: Opening Remarks and Award Ceremony / 10:00 a.m
- Session B: Keynote Speaker to be announced/ 11:00 a.m.
We begin our virtual conference with a morning webinar including opening remarks from Anthony Kane, and Prof. Spiro Pollalis (additional suggestions for speakers to provide opening remarks welcome). They will set the stage for the topics that we’ll be discussing throughout the workshop including how infrastructure can best address equity and social justice, COVID-19 impacts and recovery, and planning for the future. Recent projects that have made significant strides in sustainability achievements will be recognized during an awards presentation and ISI will acknowledge the individuals and project teams who have had an impact in the past year. The second half of the morning webinar continues with a keynote speaker (to be announced!)
Webinar 2: Equity and Social Justice / Starts at 2:00 p.m.
As we work to learn more to address persistent and systemic racism, it is becoming clear that infrastructure will be critical in ensuring an equitable distribution of benefits. Speakers in this session will share their experiences in working to overcome these challenges and will offer examples from projects that begin to make progress toward a more equitable and just future for everyone in the community.
- Session A: Connecting Equity & Social Justice with Meaningful Progress in Infrastructure / 2:00 p.m.
- Session B: Infrastructure Projects that Lead the Change / 3:00 p.m.
- Micro-networking session with Webinar 2 moderators and speakers / 4:00 p.m
- Networking Session – World Cafe / 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, November 19, 2020
Webinar 3: Recovering from a Global Pandemic / Starts at 10:00 a.m.
The approach to recovery will need to address two critical questions: how can public health be addressed through infrastructure systems; and how will infrastructure systems spur much-needed economic recovery? Public health experts and economists will be invited to address what we’re seeing in the recovery phase so as to better plan for the future.
- Session A: COVID-19 and Public Health / 10:00 a.m.
- Session B: Recovery and Infrastructure Investments / 11:00 a.m.
- Micro-networking session with Webinar 3 moderators and speaker / 12:00 a.m.
Webinar 4: Resiliency / Starts at 2:00 p.m.
The conference wraps with a look into the future and forward-thinking strategies for resiliency planning will be shared. Projects that “get it right” will be showcased, and upheld as examples for continued recovery, development, and resilience. As we build back stronger, we need to be able to address the unknown challenges that face future generations. A foundation with resilient infrastructure assets will help define the path forward.
- Session A: Transformative Solutions for Sustainability and Health / 2:00 p.m.
- Session B: Resiliency Planning / 3:00 p.m.
- Micro-networking session with Webinar 4 moderators and speakers / 4:00 p.m.
- Networking Session – Table Topics / 5:00 p.m.
Optional pre-conference workshops will be offered the day before the conference begins. Virtual conference participants have the option to register for the full-day ENV SP Training and qualify to take the ENV SP exam (additional registration fees apply). Additionally, current ENV SPs may register for to take their prescribed courses for their credential maintenance reporting period, facilitated live over remote webinar. The following sessions are held concurrently the day prior to the kick-off to the virtual conference.
Tuesday, November 17
ENV SP Training / Starts at 8:00 am
Facilitator: ISI Staff
This course is the official ENV SP Training, and will be remotely facilitated via Zoom by a qualified ISI trainer. Completion of this course is a prerequisite for taking the ENV SP exam.
The ENV SP training is designed to educate candidates on Envision. After completing the training candidates will understand how Envision works, how it can improve the sustainability of their projects, and be able to successfully apply it to assess project sustainability.
ISI 2019 Prescribed Courses / Starts at 10:00 am
Facilitator: ISI Staff
Complimentary registration provided. Registration is open to the public; ENV SPs completing these courses will be able to fulfill their 2019 prescribed hours.
- Course 1: The Envision Framework
- Course 2: Sustainability and the Role of Envision
ISI 2020 Prescribed Courses / Starts at 2:00 p.m.
Facilitator: ISI Staff
Complimentary registration provided. Registration is open to the public; ENV SPs completing these courses will be able to fulfill their 2020 prescribed hours.
- Course 1: Best Practices for Using Envision on Projects and Across Portfolios
- Course 2: Envision Implementation: Organization-wide Strategies
- ENV SP Training – adjourns / 5:00 p.m.